While it is never easy to cut back on necessities like electricity, natural gas, and water, your utility bill is a monthly expense and savings are critical to your household budget. If you find yourself having to take out money loans to meet your basic bills, try cutting back. You may be surprised to learn that by adopting a few simple, relatively pain-free strategies, you can save money without uncomfortable sacrifices.
1. Make use of passive solar heating. When the temperature in your home needs a boost, open up your window shades on south-facing windows and let the sun shine in. Open interior doors to let the warmer air circulate. Cover your windows when the sun goes down to retain heat into the evening. Make sure you turn your thermostat down to take full advantage of free solar power.
2. Replace standard bulbs with energy saving light bulbs. As your existing light bulbs burn out, replace them with CFL or LED bulbs for significant savings. CFLs use approximately one-fourth of the electricity of old-style incandescent units, and they last 10 times longer with virtually no reduction in brightness. The latest LED bulbs are have a life span 25 times that of old-style bulbs and energy usage that tops CFLs.
3. Save money by cutting down on clothes dryer use. Electric dryers are among the top energy eaters in any household. Even natural gas dryers need electricity to turn their drums. Putting clothes outdoors on the line takes only a few moments and pays off big in terms of utility bill savings.
4. In the kitchen, save time and energy by covering pots on the stove to heat liquids more efficiently. Plan oven usage so that you can double up on cooking to save energy.
5. Turn off electronics when not in use. Leaving a television on all day can jack up your utility bill. Use your PC’s automatic sleep mode setting to power down when you’re not using it. When you are away from home, set your outdoor lights on a timer so they are on only when necessary.
6. Save water. Daily savings on your water usage add up over a few months. Turn off the tap while you brush your teeth. Shut down the shower spray while you shampoo. Cool the water you used to boil your pasta and hydrate your houseplants.
Even the most savings conscious household cannot always keep utility bills at an affordable low. Particularly during harsh Canadian winters, homeowners have no choice but to use more electricity and natural gas than normal to keep warm. For those periodic spikes in your monthly bills, money loans can be literal lifesavers.
However, if you are like most people, you don’t know how to find a reputable lender. Being on good terms with a reliable money loan company means you have a source of funds when money is tight.